The Emerson top



  

Today I am part of the Emerson Dress and Top pattern tour.This pattern was designed by lovely Darcy from Ginger House Designs.

I have only good things to say about this pattern. 
Darcy won my heart when I saw the pattern pieces because they have... notches! 
I really think notches are very important on a pattern. If you would care about learning a bit more about notches I would suggest you to read this great article from my blogging friend Mie, from Sewing Like Mad, for Willow and Co.
The instructions are perfect, with a high professional look and with well designed illustrations.

Pattern and sewing details
The bodice is fully lined and as an option for a ruffle detail but I have opted for using piping instead (you already know I love piping, right?)
The dress and top can be made either with or without the flutter sleeves. I have opted to go with it since I can't resist flutter sleeves... :) These were actually really interesting to make because instead of hemming the edge - like most patterns -, this one suggests that we can finish the raw edge with a very small and narrow zig zag stitch in order to give it that look (see picture bellow). First I wasn't sure I was going to make it this way because I usually don't like exposed seams and raw edges, but I am glad I decided to give it a try because I really like the way it looks - that little fraying is kind of adorable. 
Both dress and top close at the back with a button placket.




Fabric
I opted for a rayon challys with a heart print. Super soft and drapey. A bit flimsy to work with but so great to wear.
I almost chose a thicker fabric - so it would go with a long sleeve tee underneath for her Fall wardrobe but then I opted for this summery fabric instead since we are still having some days with a great weather.





This little girl was so happy with her new top! "Hearts, mommy! See, I have hearts!" Well, my sweetie, you have one beautiful heart. You are kind, funny, and sweet, and you know deep down in your good heart when you did wrong and you are always truly sorry. You are a sweetheart.


Make sure to go check the other creations for this pattern tour. You will love the dress option! 

September 23 | Sprouting JubeJube
September 24 | Britches N Bloomers
September 25 | Rebel & Malice | Made by Sara
September 26 | Amanda Rose





12 comments

  1. Lindo Sara e que lindo amor por essa filha com um ar tão doce... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pattern! And very cute and innocent pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Na 4ª fotografia ela está a tua fotocópia! O olhar, as pestanas, é muito parecida contigo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew I would love it as a top, and the piping is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOOOO CUTE!! More hearts for the both of you! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your girl is so gorgeous :) Her new top looks great on her :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this top and the piping you added is a perfect detail. And yeah, I know the feeling of not being able to resist a flutter sleeve :-) Thanks for the link my notch-friend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute!!! you might just be the reason im buying the pattern! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ai Sara, Sara que eu fico sempre encantada com as tuas escolhas nos tecidos. Isso e o facto deste modelo ser mesmo giro, acabaste com uma peça super amorosa. Gostei muito.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, Tão queridas (mãe e filha) :)
    E claro o top também ficou bem giro (eu também não sou fã desse acabamento nas peças, mas acho que neste caso resulta mesmo bem).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sara, this top is beautiful!! How did you finish the sleeve edge - is it the rolled hem function on your serger? I need to try that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment and I will get back to you soon!